The research, being related to microeconomic and macroeconomic processes in Latvia, as well as to cross-border economic processes in the EU, has opened up the possibility to gain, accumulate, preserve and further develop a wide range of experience.
The main research directions of the institute:
- investment attraction mechanisms. Reducing the differences in the business environment to attract investment and business development,
- current business problems in Latvia: increasing competitiveness,
- social entrepreneurship,
- opportunities for transfer of functions from the state to the private / non-governmental sector,
- the impact of taxes on economic development,
- macroeconomic issues, national economic development research: public administration functioning and tax system; regional, administrative-territorial and public administration reform in Latvia, current problems of economic theory in the conditions of globalization, methodology and organization of economic accounting, finance and control,
- increasing energy efficiency in various production processes,
- increasing the efficiency of business management by using modern management technologies
- socio-economic issues of regional development: activities and cooperation of local governments, small towns,
- demographic challenges: human resource migration, gender issues, gender equality,
- determination of human economic potential,
- agriculture, environmental economics,
- work environment, bioeconomy,
- knowledge economy, human resource development, integration problems.